Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A light in a dark world

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16 NIV)

I have been thinking a lot about this passage. I've been thinking about being a light.

We live in a very dark world. I decided this morning I would not watch the news. Am I choosing ignorance? No. I have just had enough doom and gloom and darkness. I need a day off.

I need to recharge my light. To figure out how to reignite my inner source of power.

Religions of all stripes are taking a beating right now. They are, if you listen to the undertones, responsible for 90% of all the evil in the world. And yet, I don't personally know many evil people, religious or otherwise. I am daily assaulted by Facebook articles and status' that claim to know me because of my professed beliefs.

My faith is very simple. I need to set all the barrage aside and remember who I am and to whom I belong. I believe in being a light to the world. I believe in living love. I believe in forgiving others and myself (cause I make plenty mistakes).

So I decide that I can be a light. What does a light do?
 
It can offer hope. Like a window light in the distance to a person lost in a dark wood.

It can offer help. Like a lantern being lowered down a well to a small child who has fallen and is being rescued.

It can throw light on a situation. It can expose a problem, like a flashlight in the hands of a plumber looking for a leak.

Comfort and hope are found in love. But the light isn't the fix. The one to whom the light belongs is the fix.

How do we fight darkness in the world?

All we can do is live our life giving light where we can. At least these are my conclusions - you may disagree and that is OK with me too.

No comments: