Sunday, March 22, 2009

Great days




When I woke up this morning I would never have imagined that today would be such a great day. We woke up to LOTS of fresh snow. After a week of spring and warming weather this was disheartening. Just yesterday the neighbors were over and the kids were playing in the muddy sand box and the puddles all over the yard.

The kids all crawled in bed with us and played and goofed. Mari tooted really loud and caused a great deal of laughter and hilarity.
We decided not to go to church. Our street hasn't been cleared all winter and we had serious doubts that we'd get off our street let alone any further. When we told the kids we were staying home Gavin asked for waffles.
In our house waffles don't happen without whipped cream. Wes agreed to make the 5 minute hike over to the nearest 7-11 and get cream. Then I suggested, "Why don't we ask the neighbors to come over?" Cheers all around -particularly the kids. Wes walked off to the store while I phoned over and invited the neighbors for waffles.

We did a quick clean up and then I started cooking. I had two assistants when I started, but by the time I was cracking the first egg they were both in time-out. While we have two little wooden chairs, which are identical, they both apparently needed the same one. A bitter war ensued, which ended in the proverbial time-out.
The Harckhums arrived, just as I was realizing that I only had a tiny bit of baking powder left and not much floor and hopefully enough syrup. Mari had been neglected so long that she fell asleep in her excersaucer. Daddy finally moved her to a more comfortable spot.

It was chaos, but great fun. We are so lucky to have such great neighbors. They have become good friends. As we munched on bacon and waffles (I kept mine separate. For those who are wondering - bacon with syrup is gross!), Wes and I both commented that the waffles didn't taste quite right and that they seemed a bit funny. Our guests were happy, the kids were happy and the waffles were edible.

I then decided to heat up my coffee. I opened the microwave door to insert the coffee and saw a bowl of melted butter. Half a cup in fact, the very 1/2 cup that was mentioned in the recipe.

Aha - so that is what I missed - I knew there was something! Everyone had a good laugh, mine was a phony laugh though. If you know me, you know I am cheap and laughing over a half a cup of melted butter - well what the heck am I supposed to do with that! Later in the day we had a very big bowl of popcorn. While I made the popcorn, Mari, once again her tears falling on deaf ears, fell asleep on her little play mat.

We also played outside and I made a little tunnel through a small bank for the kids - perfectly safe! Wes went out several times through the day to push various stuck vehicles and help them on their way. Really, not much of anything was getting by on our little loop.

We had frozen pizza for supper (not my favourite) because we were all so worn out. Daddy also managed to get some work done in the basement, while I cleaned up the wreck of a kitchen and did more laundry, the white load in fact - you know all the socks and undies - sigh!

While I had a shower, I'm averaging 2 a week these days, Daddy got the kids in pjs and ready for bed. Now they are all sleeping (even Mari) and peace reigns, for now...

So all in all - a surprisingly great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to say, "Really, Roberta? YOU don't know what to do with a 1/2 cup of melted butter!?!" Then I continued to read your story and it turned out like I thought it should. :-)
Hope

Anonymous said...

That does sound like a fun day!!!
Nicola