Wednesday, August 17, 2011

So I'm now 40

Today is my birthday. I'm 40.

Not sure what that means. Doesn't upset me at all. Age never bothered me. I don't feel as though I have wasted my time on the earth thus far. Although, catch me most days and I'd scream that I never get anything accomplished, but in the big picture I know those things are usually not terribly important.

I looked in the mirror, trying to decide if I am old enough to have to start wearing makeup. I always felt like young women shouldn't wear makeup since they really don't need it. The bags under my eyes would make me think its time, but maybe that is just the sleep deprivation that comes with having kids at the age of 40. Maybe 50 is the makeup cut off.

My parents are making a lovely lamb roast for dinner. Jon came (Cindy and kids are away) and Wes is on his way out too. Makes for a pretty special evening. I love lamb.

A friend emailed and said she wants a report on what I plan to achieve in this next year, being a momentous year and all. Hmmmm. I always have plans, but I'm not much to stick to a strict schedule. If I was being married to Wes has beaten that out of me. So, shoes for school, ballet shoes for Bronwyn, a new bike for Gavin... these are on the list of to dos. And I have already accomplished two of the three today.

One thing I have learned - set the bar low and you will be more likely to achieve it. Not sure that is the kind of life lesson I should be sharing.

I don't have particularly deep thoughts on this Big day. Guess I'm happy I made it to 40. I'm excited to see what is next in life.

Time to eat? MMMmmmm.

1 comment:

Julie Reid said...

Happy Birthday Roberta! You make 40 look good. You have a beautiful full life of adventure and you face each day with faith and excellent humor. Enjoy your day :) We will celebrate when all the other Moms are home from gallavanting!