Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The day Bronwyn had an accident and I became a shop-lifter

Mari and I walked to get the kids today from school. It was a beautiful, if slightly chilly, fall day. Mari, for the second day, did not have a nap. I hoped that she would fall asleep in the stroller, which unlike yesterday, she did today.

Bronwyn came out of the school first. As we waited for Gavin I asked her if she had to go to the bathroom. No was the answer.
We walked up the road and decided to go to the dollar store, just slightly out of our way. We made our way to the back of the store where the napkins and party plates and supplies were decked out. Gavin was advising me on which style he preferred for his party. I placed some plates and napkins on top of the stroller. At that point Bronwyn started making squeaking noises and spinning in a circle.

I turned from the party details and asked if she had to pee. She said, No. But she was grabbing at herself as she spun in a circle. I said in a rushed way that I would ask to use the bathroom if that was the problem. She shook her head and then started to cry. A large yellowy puddle was now all over the floor. I was MORTIFIED! I took off my coat and tried to mop up the mess. I took Bronwyn's school water bottle dumped it on the semi-cleaned mess and then wiped it up again.

Gavin was still, somehow oblivious to what had transpired, discussing which plates he would like. I declared we would come back at another time, for now we had to just go home. We had a good little walk to get home and I wanted to go before it got any colder, Bronwyn would freeze. And since I now didn't have a coat, so would I.

I informed the man at the till and told him I tried to clean it up. He said he'd go get a mop, no worries these things happen. He helped me with the door. I back out and stood in front of the door to talk to Bronwyn to see if she wanted her tights removed. The man reemerged and asked if I had paid for the items, pointing to the stroller.
I gasped and handed them back to him quickly saying NO! So sorry!

There, it would appear I have started my criminal career. I'm not very good at it, I'm afraid.

2 comments:

Drew and Erin said...

Oh so funny to look back on but horrific to live through! It gave us a good laugh.

Brandi said...

If you want your criminal career to flourish, then may I suggest you stop apologizing? No-one like that nice bad-guy...or lady.