Monday, November 28, 2011

A bad hangover

It feels today like Calgary has woken up from a wild party and is suffering a bad hangover. Everyone is assessing the damage of yesterdays wind storm.

I arrived at the school with Gavin this morning and as I crossed the street chatted to two other parents, both of whom had trees downed on their properties. We lost the top of one of our trees. We weren't home but our wonderful neighbor came and collected the branches for us. Now we just have to figure out how to dispose of them. There has also been a huge amount of siren activity this morning.

But, the shocker is what happened downtown. In all my years living in Calgary I have never seen anything like these pictures. It looks like Edmonton after a Stanley cup win. 

I am very curious how my friends who work downtown managed this morning. I am also very thankful for the emergency crews who will have worked through the night helping. It isn't the worst natural disaster that could happen, but it might rate among the strangest I've seen in a while.

Hoping this note finds you all safe and sound.

No comments: