Saturday, December 09, 2006

I'm not sympathetic



For those of you don't know me too well this may come as a surprise. I am not a sympathetic person. I come from a long line of women who lack that virtue (sorry to rat you out Mom). Why have I brought it up? Well we have been sick in this house and by we I mean Wes and Gavin. This is how the last week and a half went.

Wed - Wes says he has a sore throat I say - well go to bed you need more sleep or you'll get sick and we don't want that.

Thur - Wes stays home from work because he is very sick. I am sympathetic but feel if he got more sleep he wouldn't be sick.

Fri - Wes is still sick but ventures to work. He goes to bed early and I figure that should fix him.

Sat - Wes is still sick - I am now getting tired of this! I drag Wes and family out to the mall to do some Christmas shopping - just what every sick person wants. After fun family time Wes has a long nap to recuperate.

Sun - He starts coughing. OK - all my sympathy and concern has dried up. He coughs all night - I get crankier and crankier and finally ask him if he has any control over how much he coughs. He claims he doesn't.

Monday - Still coughing - For the love of peter stop it! I am getting progressively crankier and more tired.

Tues - Well great - now Gavin is sick! I have a great deal of sympathy for my poor boy except he feels so yucky he wants to sleep with us. Will I ever sleep again?

Wed - Bronwyn is very fussy - it is 1 am and I am still trying to get her settled. Wes' coughing wakes her up! I have a temper tantrum - Wes feels bad about the coughing and goes and sleeps in Gavin's bed (since he's in our bed anyhow). Gavin cries because Daddy has left the room.

Thurs - Now Gavin is coughing all night. We have to give him some Tylenol in his milk as he won't let us give it to him. Neither of my children take medicine easily. I have been so anxious that Bronwyn not get sick before her MRI as they will delay it if she has a cold.

Fri - I am past the point of caring anymore. I am exhausted and they are both still sick. Bronwyn has her MRI. They put her under - she does very well.

Sat - Wes is finally feeling better - perhaps there is an end in sight after all. When will this child go to bed.

So you see - no sympathy at all - my poor enduring husband!

2 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I hear you! I am super healthy and thus not sympathetic much either. I'm also real stingy. Got to work on those. But with the kids, it's so much easier to be sympathetic and generous, I guess because they are small. The Lord sometimes reminds me I should treat my husband at least as good as I treat the kids and other friends, who I seem to be able to draw up sympathy for easier ;( Glad the little sweety made it through the MRI ok.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya Roberta. I have at times been labled in similar ways
- although I think its because we care so much and so what happens is our sympathetic nature actually turns on itself, similar to a person's immune system. This "turning" then brings about the downfall of our sympathy quotient which then makes us appear unsympathetic when in actuality we are really just pathetic in our theories about sympathy. Or, I guess, my theory. Ya know? I think I'm onto something here.

Pastor John