Friday, December 29, 2006

Why I believe

The other day I was thinking about my Faith and how important it has been to me over the last few months. I started to wonder - Why do I believe? My mind instantly races to all the evidences that I see of God's hand in my daughters life as well as my own. I look back over my life and see so many instances that are proof to me of God. But you know this isn't why I believe. This is just evidence of my belief.

So why do I believe in God? Many years ago I heard a quote attributed to Albert Einstein(I can't verify this quote - sorry). A reporter asked him if he believed in God. His answer was yes. The reported then asked why. The genius responded "Because the alternative is unthinkable."

That answer really spoke to me. I don't want to think that I believe in God because its the scenario that I like the best - but really when I think of it a life without God is, for me, unthinkable.

I never knew a time when I didn't believe in God. He has always been a major part of my life. I was raised not only going to church but believing that God was a part of my every waking minute. My parents have given us great gifts and help over the years - but the thing for which I will always be most thankful is the clear and careful path toward God that they marked in our childhood.

So why do I believe? Well I always have I guess. But I feel I am a stronger better person because I serve a God with purpose.

3 comments:

Gavin's Mama said...

What a great post. Going through what you have gone through and staying strong in your faith is so important. I dont know what we would have done without God in our life with our experience with Gavin. I praise God everyday for my little miracle.

Anonymous said...

You amaze me. Thank you.
Kim

Anonymous said...

Roberta:
Thank you for sharing not only your faith but your life, family, laughter and most of all example in what it means to be a child of God.
Thank you for blessing us with your knowledge and insight.
Rebecca