Friday, June 27, 2008

I am so angry

Ohhh, I am just so fuming. I was reading this article on the CBC website and I made the mistake of reading some of the comments. I was absolutely shocked.

I don't care what your political views are or your opinions on the environment to even start to compare Steven Harper with the current government in Zimbabwe is seriously disgusting. These people who are writing these comments would never dare do this in Zimbabwe - they would be tortured for weeks and left for dead in the bush. The secretary general of the MDC, Tendai Biti, has been jailed on charges of treason, for making statements against Mugabe and the government. In a world where one of the opposition party cannot stand up against the government without being jailed what hope does the average citizen have. There are bandits of Mugabe's who have said they will kill anyone who does not have the stamp saying they voted.

My Dad can't get his sister on the phone because someone stole the telephone lines in her area. Poverty and despair are so rampant that some one thought to steal a phone line!

Mugabe and his actions are news now - but trust me it is not new. This has been going on for years!

I guess the fact that so many people feel free to post their own political views in a public forum such as the CBC website proves that our country is in a very different political position than that of Zimbabwe (or many other countries for that matter).

What makes me truly so angry is the people who commented can't see past their own issues and see the real tragedy in the making. To read this article and turn around and make comment on our own political situation seems extremely egocentric and blind to the suffering of others. Not everything is about us!

Wes keeps telling me that I should post this on the CBC comments, not here - but I guess I figure if people are prepared to make public statements like that in the first place they likely won't listen to me. Wes is likely right but I am not going to do it anyhow! So I am ranting at an audience who is not guilty. So this is a misplaced rant - I just needed to get it off my chest.

No comments: