Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas bliss





We have had an eventful few days. As have most of you. We are tired - well Mommy is VERY tired and the others also.

On the morning of the 24th - we finally put up and decorated our tree. Yeah for us! The kids have been messing with it since and I am so glad I didn't put it up sooner - I would likely have tied them to the chair with garland by now if I had.

We had the McKenzie family and our neighbor over on Christmas eve. Cadence and my kids had a blast. The two little ones behave pretty well too. My kids find Cadence so funny - there is always a lot of giggling.

We told Gavin and Bronwyn they could open one present Christmas eve. So about an hour into our visit with Scott, Mel and company Gavin asked them if they were ready to leave. I could have choked the little...

Christmas morning was fun - the kids really enjoyed it. Mari got what she wanted - a bust in the face (as my mother always says). We spent the day at Mom and Dad's with Jon & Cindy and family and the kids played like maniacs. I have philosophical issues with the gluttony of toys that the kids get and how we celebrate special events - but it was not too bad this year and the kids were pretty respectful and grateful.

We stayed over at Mom and Dad's Christmas night and last night. It was a nice change for us. The kids love staying over at Grandma and Grandpa's.

Boxing day, the day I usually like to take down our tree, we went with my folks to Joan's. Erin and Drew and of course, the new celeb - Sam, are home so we went to visit them. We got there a bit before everyone else and had a nice visit. The Reid and Lewis families arrived as well as some other friends of Joan's and the party was just starting to get into full visit mode - when Gavin threw up EVERYWHERE!

I was totally not expecting it, he was acting tired and lethargic, as was Bronwyn. But I figure it was because of several late nights and lots of rich food etc. But no, he was apparently sick. When he started to throw up I thought - Can I get this cleaned up without any one noticing? And then he bubbled up again and I thought - No, we are past that point! The good news was that I didn't get the brunt of it. My Mom was holding him - so she was the one who took the worst hit.

We got back to their house and then Bronwyn started throwing up. I have to admit I always worry more about her when she gets sick - so this got my anxiety levels up a bit.

It was a "pukey" evening, but both kids slept well and are doing fairly good today. Right now Gavin is arguing with his Dad about going to bed. He is yelling - I am the boss of my pajamas!" Well if you are going to be a boss - may as well be the boss of pajamas.
Hopefully everyone sleeps well tonight. I need energy because tomorrow the tree comes down.

4 comments:

jenn with two n's said...

Berta,
You always make me smile (and laugh too)--it usually is your kids who are making me smile but the telling of the story is a gift. You come from good story telling stock! Thank you for the Christmas Bliss.

Anonymous said...

Glad your kids are feeling better. I remember when Brenna let it "loose" on Grandma. They always get the worst part...dont' they? I too took down my tree..if I had my way, it would have been down Christmas night.

Thanks for all the reading material..I thoroughly enjoy it. Anyways, have a healthy and happy 2009!

Fiona

Janet said...

I know 1/2 of how you feel - with only one pukey kid. Kellen started Friday night and I thought he was done for sure on Sunday. So, Ian and I were out enjoying some time in the hot tub when I thought I heard (on the baby monitor) Kellen up to pee. Decided I should check on him and found him pouring a cup of water over the puke in his bed. "don't worry, I cean it up mom!" Poor kid. Still puking today...but luckily (fingers crossed) not Lanelle. Hope Gavin has recovered more quickly!!

Drew and Erin said...

Poor Gavin! That was too funny (after the fact of course!) I will have the image of you trying to 'catch' everything in your glass burned in my memory forever! Thanks for the shout out on your blog...glad we got to visit!