Monday, December 22, 2008

My husband is an old man

So Wes turned 40 yesterday. We had a lovely day. My folks had us for a very nice prime rib dinner. Wes was spoiled by family and 40 sure doesn't seem as old as it used to!

I want to say something rather mushy about my husband - which is OK because he never reads the blog unless I force him. When we were in Edmonton waiting to have Bronwyn, Wes asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told him I just wanted the new Dixie Chicks CD.

I listened to this CD as I drove back and forth to the hospital visiting Bronwyn. When I hear those songs now I have almost an emotional reaction. I have a memory of a warm clear late August day as I drove across the low level bridge anxious about how Bronwyn would be doing that day. It is quite amazing how music brings the whole feeling back again.

Back to my point - there is a song on this CD - Easy Silence. At the time I felt like it described Wes and his role in my life to a T. I still feel the same way even now.

The chorus goes:

I come to find a refuge in the easy silence that you make for me. It's OK when there's nothing more to say to me. And the peaceful quiet you create for me. And the way you keep the world at bay for me.

Wes is quiet, I mean really quiet. But he is steady, really steady. This is likely why I married him. He is everything I am not. I can rely on him to do what he needs to do, to shoulder the weight of the family and to calm me down when needed. He rarely gets ruffled and even more rarely looses his temper.

He laughs big and loud - which surprises people! He enjoys his kids and finds immense joy in watching them.

God has blessed my life so richly through Wes - even if he is now 40!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great post, roberta, i almost cried! please wish wes a very happy birthday and i hope you guys have a great christmas!
love the kriewald family!

Anonymous said...

Roberta, I was checking back to your blog to send a link to a family from this area with a baby not yet 1 year old who had his second open heart surgery this week in Edmonton. I really, really enjoyed this ... Wes is indeed a very special guy!
Kathy Elford