Monday, February 28, 2011

Purpose

I often struggle with finding a sense of purpose in my life. I struggle with seeing value in what I do and having that value acknowledged. I guess I struggle with feeling important.

This weekend I thought a lot about this need in me. And I wondered, did Abraham or Moses ever feel like they need to find their purpose, their God given talents, their full potential. From what I can see they didn't. They lived their life, did as God commanded and made a few mistakes on the way. Could it be that simple?

Maybe, I need to just live my life and do what God puts in front of me. As my parents often remind me, I have three little lives (four if you include my good husband) that rely on me. It might not be as glamorous as I'd like, but maybe its more important than I can imagine.

I don't think my job is to play with my kids or make their world happy and trouble free. Rather to teach them to know and revere God. OOOH. Big job that.

So maybe its not about finding my way, but showing God's way.

(I promise I'll post pictures soon)

3 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I hear you and understand. So many times I wonder what I have accomplished, but then you have to find the treasures of each day and it's in the mundane that sometimes God shows up big. Besides, you realize that you are giving your love and best to your children and they are not growing up having others know them more than you, having others experience their highs and lows instead of you. To me that is treasure that can not be given any price tag.

Anonymous said...

Definitely identify with this! I'm in the process of drawing a similar conclusion; thinking if I put one foot in front of the other, deliberately, these elusive 'purposes' and 'gifts' will reveal themselves. Perhaps not in a bombastic, sky-writing, eureka sort of way. Perhaps just in quiet confirmation.

Carrie Brown said...

I think all of us constantly have the "purpose" ponderings in our think cycles. You have many purposes. Being a mom with three young children is tiring. I know that in a few years we will long to have these mundane days back. But I am like you, forever wondering what I might be when I grow up:)