Monday, January 09, 2012

The return of the routine

So here we are the first day back at school. Back to setting the alarm clock, making lunches, drop offs and pick ups. The break was lovely. It was wonderful to not have my day driven by the school's clock. I loved the time off, but...

It is nice to get back to the routine. To have the day broken up into tangible chunks of time. So as much as I resent the 'school schedule' it is also rather helpful. I find that I am more productive and can accomplish more when I have time lines. Having chunks of time in the day without three kids under foot also contributes to productivity.

Not that I am too concerned with productivity. My neighbors girlfriend was visiting with me one afternoon on her way in. I was doing yard work and was frustrated with how little I was accomplishing with all the help I was getting.

I laughingly said, "It has been almost seven years since I have actually completed a task, or accomplished anything." She laughed politely and then pointed at the three kids and replied, "Looks to me like you have accomplished a fair bit." I stopped and said, "Well, yes."

But that did give me pause for thought. Why yes, I do accomplish a lot.

This Christmas break we enjoyed our two weeks off and we played really hard. Really hard! And that was great.

Now it is back to business, time to get things done.

No comments: