Thursday, May 30, 2013

Romance

I was never able to give my friends advice on romance and dating. Mostly, because, well... when they were all getting married I still hadn't figured out that not all boys were just like brothers. I was a bit of a late bloomer (or a fat head - not sure which).

This doesn't mean I wasn't an expert in romance, unfortunately I was an expert in 17th century romance, not as useful in today's society.

But now... now... I am an expert. Well, as much of an expert as a horribly pragmatic person who happens to be married to the least romantic man alive can be, but still I think I am now qualified.

I know several young women who are getting married this summer and it has put me into the mood for handing out unwelcome advice. My sage wisdom is obviously not targeted at these young ladies as if they have chosen to get married it is too late for them. But there may be other avid readers of my blog who have been longing to hear my perspective on this issue.

As I said, I am an expert on romance. Not the tawdry Harlequin crappy romance, but the smart clever and funny romances - Jane Austen and... well pretty much just Jane Austen but she rocks!

After over ten years of marriage when I now watch a romantic movie or read a book where the characters fall for one another, I have more opinions than I would have years ago. Here are a couple of my thoughts - an appetizer of sorts.

1. The strong silent type is the most attractive. The problem with this is that they don't talk - no really it isn't that they are just good listeners and will give you all the attention in the world. They don't like to converse, have conversations or in any other way engage with words. Trust me I KNOW! They are still very attractive you just have to be comfortable with talking for two (something that comes pretty naturally to me).

2. You don't need him to give you flowers or gifts to show his affection. The problem with this one is that once they marry you men typically stop doing this sort of thing - so milk it while you can!

3. Most men have hidden depths that only the love of their life will discover. The problem is frankly, most men are WYSIWYG - what you see if what you get. If their depths are hidden they likely aren't there at all. So decide if you like what you see, cause its what you'll end up with.

4. A man that will change for you is a great catch. Frankly if a guy has to change for you then why are you with him. Do him a favour and yourself one too, find someone you can respect enough as he is.


See - all these great gems of advice rolling around in my head and nothing to do with them. Sheesh!

It beats my usual advice that if you want to ensure that you are happy you should find a Wes Davis to marry - it worked for me!

No comments: