Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My kids are good!

I have to admit the last week of my life has not been all roses. Not sure why. I think the kids are having mid summer blues and I, well I have been with them 24/7 since the flood shut down the city. So...

On top of that I am not what you might call a "natural" mother. I think I might have been better and more flexible had I birthed my children before getting old and grumpy, but here I am - Old, grumpy and a parent of young children.

The kids have been attending VBS and this year I offered to help, so I have been sticking around. There are 100 kids roughly, give or take a few. I haven't been dealing directly with the kids but still, watching all the manic activity and the running has been exhausting. But it has given me an opportunity to see my kids in action when I'm not the centre of their world. Kind of like spying on them from afar.

When they are with me my kids are happy to give me the gears. They are happy to push me and my patience. They are happy to talk back and be disobedient. But...

With others, they are compliant, good natured, well behaved and good listeners. I am sure they aren't always like that, that they occasionally step out of the lines, but compared to their behaviour at home they are saints!

On one hand this makes me happy. I figure that something of the values we are trying to instill in the kids must be sinking in. But on the other hand, how do I replicate this behaviour at home??

All I can say is I'm proud of my kids - which is saying a lot after the week we just had.

No comments: