Sunday, July 21, 2013

Solidarity

To say we were affected by the flood in Calgary is an understatement.

Now, we weren't "affected" - in other words, we didn't have any damage nor loss. But as part of this community, and I think all Calgarians (and surrounding communities) would agree, we were very impacted. I don't think I know a person who wasn't in some way touched, either personally, or through work, or through friends. It was a massive event that touched so many lives.

Now, I realize the death toll was low and Calgary has been very blessed with a well organized civil service that helped minimize the damages. But still... it is the kind of event that you can't understand until you live through it. Or maybe you can - but I couldn't!

Wes was also deeply affected. Our emotions have been very tied up in the stories, pictures, and conversations with friends. When we saw the "Hell or High Water" slogan we both reacted immediately. I was thrilled that somewhere a clever marketer was able to turn this into a wonderful battle cry! (See advertising can touch lives!!) Wes just loved the spirit of it. He decided we all needed shirts, the whole family. When we got to the Stampede grounds on one of the busiest days of the event we discovered they were all sold out.

When I got home I ordered some online. This family photo was meant to be our statement of solidarity with our fellow Calgarians! We love this city and its people!

But.. when I downloaded the pictures I realized the Davis' all need haircuts! Except Wes, thanks to the buzz cut I gave him a while ago (sorry again Honey).

No comments: