Thursday, August 27, 2009

First day of Kindergarten




Wow! Gavin had his first day of Kindergarten today.

I expected a sea of Mom's holding back tears and unable to believe that their baby has gone from a babe in arms to Kindergarten! I guess that is sort of what I got, it translated into snap happy Moms and Dads with camera's just a blazing.

There were some tears - Gavin cried. I don't know why I expected anything different. He cried every single day of preschool. So really this is just more of the same. I guess I figured after what amounts to a two month pep talk and some other initiatives that he would have done better.

I was seriously crushed. I walked away from the school feeling defeated and sure that I would have a repeat of last year. It is demoralizing to take a kid to school and have them cry and scream every single time - really it stinks.

When I went to pick him up I realized his class was in the playground. I watched from a distance as he ran around and played like a little maniac. I felt so much better. Maybe he'll do better this year after all. He asked me as we walked away if he could go back there again. Good sign!

A little boy, Caleb attached himself to Gavin almost right away. It was pretty cute. I guess he decided that for now Gavin looked like as good a buddy as any.

Bronwyn doesn't like leaving Gavin. I brought her home for nap time. When she woke up the first thing she said was, "Lets go drop Ganna." Meaning lets pick him up (instead of drop off - that is where the drop comes in).

All in all a beautiful and nice day.

Oh, on another note. Mari stood on her own for a couple seconds last night. She managed to keep herself balanced and stand for just a brief moment. Clever girl!

No comments: