Friday, June 04, 2010

Lemonade stand




Gavin has been very motivated to make money lately. He wants a Wii. Grandpa has one and he insists that we need one too. I'm reluctant to just "get it for the family", as Bronwyn doesn't show any interest in video games and Mari is still too young.

I came up with the idea of the Wii jar. I suggested that we have a little container and that we just collect all our spare change and any other money Gavin wants to contribute so that we can save for a Wii. It has become his main focus in life. He usually starts conversations with, "Here's another idea, how I can make money..." It usually involves me driving him to a toy store so he can buy toys to resell. I'm trying to impress upon him the bad economics in that plan, but he seems to miss the point. From his point of view if the money going out is mine, well he's still gaining.

This morning he was determined to have a lemonade stand. When I told him that we had to go to the grocery store to buy lemons, having only one in the house, he changed it to an ice tea stand. I guess a good businessman is always willing to adapt.

So he made a sign, we made ice tea, with help from Mari (which just about put Mommy passed her point of endurance). We set up his stand and he began to sell.

His first customers were of course Bronwyn and Mari. Mari wouldn't give up her quarter. Bronwyn gave her quarter up, but couldn't understand why she couldn't get it back. Finally, our neighbors came over and the real fun began.

At one point a city truck drove down our very quiet street. They stopped and ordered two ice teas. That was SO exciting for Gavin! Real customers. I thought it was pretty sweet of them. There was only one other vehicle that passed by, but I didn't expect them to stop. It was the rather cranky lady down the street who has only stopped to talk to me on one occasion - and that was to ask me what I intended to do about my dandy lion problem.

He made two dollars, which he added to his Wii fund. We do plan to supplement his fund, in case you are worried that I'm giving a small child an unattainable goal. I just think its good for him to be involved in the purchase.

It was a fun morning, the house will need some attention soon, but I suppose that can always wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such an amazing mom, Berta! Even the idea of trying to set up a lemonade stand with my three is enough to have me breaking out in hives!! I am always so inspired by you and all the things that you and Wes do with the kids! Have a great weekend!
Kim

erinlo said...

I agree with Kim. You are an amazing mama!!! You will have such sweet memories of this morning. Loved this post!

Brandi said...

I loved this story - such a great pick-me-up on a bleary Monday morning! Good for him for having motivation and good for you for helping him to achieve those goals...awesome!