Sunday, December 26, 2010

Gift giving

I always feel fairly introspective after Christmas. I guess all the dust settles and I have time to think.

Every year I struggle with the huge number of gifts that our kids get. I bought small things this year, we have such a small house, the size of a lot of toys just plain scares me.

This year as I was cleaning up the wrap and all the extra packaging I reflected on how I am often more excited about them opening their gifts than they are. It makes me so happy to know that someone I gave a gift to really enjoyed it. I truly enjoy the process of giving gifts. I was awake many times the night before Christmas, just excited about all the fun the kids were going to have.

Do we have to much stuff, yes! Do our kids get spoiled, yes! But...

Maybe they have to learn the joy of receiving a gift. To truly enjoy a gift you have been given. To be excited and joyous. I realized that maybe that is the first step in the process of learning that giving is better than receiving.

It is the same with grace. It is something you have to learn to receive, not earn. Once you fully understand grace you can understand how to give it. The joy of it!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Well said, my friend!