Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A new invention

I love roasted brussel sprouts and so does Gavin. When the outer leafy bits fall off and roast and crisp in the pan and salt - mmmmmm - so good.

So I decided that I would try pulling apart a couple brussel sprouts so they would be a pile of leaves and then deep frying them. I figured it would give the same roasted effect - if not an even tastier effect. Sort of like really healthy chips.

The did taste very good - greasy - but good.

The problem lay more in the execution of the project. It was frankly, dangerous. Potatoes splatter and splutter in grease. But these popped and exploded, well the leaves didn't explode, the molten hot fat did. I had to throw little handfuls in and shut the lid quickly. It was louder than popcorn. Hot grease was flying everywhere. It is a miracle I didn't sustain a burn on my arms or hands.

Not sure I will try it again. It was an awful lot of work, but it was nice and kind of a fun, albeit not kid friendly, project. And not one I'd recommend you try.

Maybe if I coated them in tempura batter they would be even better? Huh, I wonder...

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Mmmm, I love roasted brussel sprouts with boar bacon!