Saturday, August 25, 2007

I've been thinking about the good samaritan

This is in no way a theological approach, nor even an overly well researched point - just my personal feelings.

I have at some points in my life struggled with the basic vapidness of my existence. I have watched others go off and do great things for God and humanity. I hear tales on shows like Oprah etc. where people do exceptional things. It used to cause me to feel several things. 1st - regret: If I truly was the christian that I want to be I'd be out blazing a trail for God. 2nd - jealousy: I'd feel a bit jealous of those who have the guts to do the things that I haven't done. 3rd - guilt: For no particular reason - I just always like to throw guilt in to any situation (what can I say I'm female).

Earlier this winter something hit me. Now this likely isn't earth shattering news for you - but it truly was for me. I thought about the good Samartian. He is the person that many look to as the best guide for helping mankind. He stopped when no one else would and helped an injured and hurt man. He went above and beyond the call of duty. What really hit me as I thought about it this time was that he didn't pursue the opportunity.

What was the good Samaritan doing? Living his life, going about his business. In fact, he put the man he helps in a hotel goes off to do his job or whatever and comes back later to check on him.

Why did this hit me so hard? Well, I realized that God works in many ways and that what we really need to do is work on our spirit. We need to become the kind of person that helps instinctively. Also the kind of person that is open to opportunities. I don't need to do something radical with my life. I need to do something radical with my spirit.

I am not advocating against change or against any effort to help in a way that may take you away from your home comforts - these are all good things. What I am trying to communicate is the struggle that I went through in finding meaning in my own day to day life.

I guess in short I see my job as being willing and the rest is up to God.

I can now celebrate with others who are pushing God's work forward without regret or guilt. I know that God has and will continue to use me in my own individual way.

So as I said, to many of you this won't be earth shattering but for me it was the start of building my confidence as a christian doing God's work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! :)

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Awesome reflexion. I have often been struck by 1Cor13, where it says that doing incredibly awesome things in life and faith mean nothing if there is not love in it. I'm on a tough journey to learn how to love, which is often more difficult than making something that is just impressive. (not that impressive is not filled with love, it can be) but I agree that God smiles on the quiet, humble, serving love.

Gavin's Mama said...

You are wonderful!!!