Friday, August 29, 2008

My son and God


Part of educating our children is instilling in them a sense of values and morals. For us that involves sharing our faith with our children. We try, when we remember (bad Mommy), to have bible story time after supper. This form of education will mean different things in different families depending on their belief system - but regardless I think Gavin's interpretation of things will amuse most people.

Several months ago my son declared over lunch with Pops and Grandma that - "God lives in here," (pointing to his chest). I was so pleased, I figured - wow, something is sinking in - great.
The following day he repeated this statement, and then after a bit of a pause added, as he stroked his forearm - "and there are a bunch of other gods that live in here."

Several weeks ago after our supper bible story time, Gavin said his favourite story was the Good Samaritan. Well, this has also been one of my favourites for a very long time and again I was pleased with the fact that he was learning some spiritual lessons. So I asked him what part he liked best. He responded - "The part where he gets beat up." Well...

Several days ago after playing in the yard with Max he ran out ahead of me as I went out to clean up the yard. He met me at the back door COVERED in sand. I mean it was everywhere. So I moved him to the edge of the deck and made him strip down. I dusted him off and told him to go in the house. He said no. I said, "Yes you go in the house, you can't play in the yard naked as a jaybird." He responded by saying - "God told me I could play naked in the yard." Again well... instead of arguing I ran and got my camera and took pictures of the naked child.

I don't know if there is a greater lessen in any of this but for now I'll just take it for what it is. A very curious and smart little boy who is pretty darn sure he knows more than his Mommy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO incredibly funny, Roberta, I laughed so hard when I read your blog. Gavin is going to grow up to be such a handful...good luck with that!! HAHA

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you that the anonymous comment was from me, Kim, I think your baby brain is contagious!

Anonymous said...

Your Gavin stories crack me up...I wonder if he'll be a stand up comedian when he grows up...

Fiona :)

Madame Angela Baggett said...

so guess what? one of our favorites is the good samaritan too and Ivan decided he should be the bad guy and use "lighter sabers" (light sabers from Star Wars) on the victim!