Thursday, January 07, 2010

Beautiful life

A catalogue arrived in the mail today. It was full of beautiful images, beautiful things for homes. I have to admit I am a sucker for a beautifully magazine or catalogue. I love them!


It got me thinking.


So much of the images in the magazine promote the idea that the better your life looks the better it is. I am not, and I emphasize NOT, against beautiful things. I'm not terribly into home decor myself, but I have no problem with people who are. In fact, I know many people who do artistic things for a living, designers, decorators, art directors etc. They specialize in making things beautiful, making them right! They are visual people who make looking good seem easy. These people make my life better, more visually rich.


I guess my thoughts were more along the lines of, what is beautiful? My home is a wreck at the best of times, but to me its beautiful. Why? Because my life is special to me. My family is special to me and my home reflects what goes on in these walls.


I had a visit with a friend this week, who even through her struggles is living a beautiful life. Determined to see the beauty in life. Who may be living in the shadows by times, but is always walking toward the light.


Lets face it folks, life can seem ugly! When you strip down the polish and the "niceness," it can be bare and harsh and cruel. But is that all there is to see?


When you see people struggling with cancer or other illnesses it can seem ugly. Can you see past the ugliness to the strength of the person, to their determination and faith? Are not those things beautiful. Truly beautiful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Maybe beauty is there, in every situation and person, we just have to focus our gaze a bit to find it. Maybe my attitude has to change to see the obvious beauty in others?


I have no problem with beautiful things, that is why I married Wes (sorry couldn't resist).

2 comments:

Zahn Family Blog said...

and why couldn't you post this BEFORE I start reno's! Kidding. Well said and as much as I'm not into making my basement nice, I agree totally. Hence the reason we decided to stay and reno and not move. I don't need a big beautiful house to be happy. As long as I can lock my kids away.....

Jolie said...

And one of my friends came over to our place impromptu after skating yesterday... I told her that I couldn't guarantee the condition of the house! She replied "I'm not friends with you because you have a clean house!" Ahhhh... :)