Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Another day


Hello all, we are doing well. This picture was taken a week ago last Saturday. Gavin was able to spend a bit of quality time with his big cousins - Jared, Josh & Kennedy. He enjoyed them so much.

Bronwyn is doing quite well still. We are waiting for them to start weaning her off her meds and supports. They didn't do much today with her - but let her rest and change a few of her medications. Did you know that there are doctors that specialize in blood clots? Dr. of Thrombosis I think - imagine that!

I had a pretty interesting day. We spent some time with Bronwyn - again Gavin got to see his sister for a short time. It was short as he wanted to start pulling on tubes and pressing buttons. He was removed fairly quickly at that point. Wes brought Gavin home after lunch for his nap. I stayed at the hospital.

Several days ago Shirley Perry had asked me to sing with her at a small ceremony for a patient in the oncology ward. This young teen girl - Kayla - is having her leg amputated tomorrow. They wanted to have a "burial" service. I agreed to sing but was a bit nervous of what the service would entail and what they would do. It ended up being an opportunity to show support for this young girl and it gave her a chance to talk about her feelings of gratitude and for her to thank and share with all her family, friends and the staff at the Stollery.

I was extremely touched and moved by the service. Kayla is facing a life changing event with extreme bravery. For a young girl to loose a leg is a very difficult thing - of course it is the course of action that could very well save her young life. She will just need to learn how to live this new life without one of her legs.

When she spoke most of her thoughts were of hope and thankfulness. She expressed how she has learned through her struggles just how many loving people are in the world.

If I were prone to feeling sorry for myself, the words this young brave girl spoke today would have certainly been a wake up call. No one asks for this type of a change in their life. We just need to deal with what we are facing each day. I was so pleased that I agreed to sing with Shirley - I truly believe that it did more for me and my spirit than it did Kayla's.

We are doing well - I am tired tonight. I just sometimes feel weary. My son is a great antidote for that though - he is such a goofus! He just finds a million little ways to make us laugh. He is a bit like his uncle Jon - he thinks he is so funny. Gavin will do something and then he'll laugh - he can't help himself.

Well - God Bless & good night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Berta,
We've been following your postings with anticipation. Your courage and optimism as a family is truly inspirational. Thank you, and please know our thoughts are with you guys always.
Love Alison, Darren, and Aleya.

Anonymous said...

Roberta,
Wow I'm so happy to hear that the surgery went well and everything seems to be heading in a positive direction. Just wanted to check with you, my mom and I are coming up to Edmonton sunday just for the day, and were wondering if it was possible to maybe stop by to see you, Gavin and possibly Bronwyn on our way home? (around 6:00 p.m.) We could maybe visit for about a half-hour to an hour? let me know if that might work.

shaunamae@shaw.ca

take care!

Anonymous said...

Hello all. I have no idea if this will get through to you. I have Jaelyn here with me and she's helping me - so if it doesn't work - it'll be her fault. right? We wish to congratulate you both on a fine-looking little girl who so far has shown a great deal of spunk - where would she get that from? I see a lot of spunk in her parents and older brother of course. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Sending all our love. Sandra & Jaelyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Davis family,
It's great to hear how well Bronwyn is doing. She's a real fighter! We are continuing to pray for her and for you guys. What an amazing God we serve! We love you guys, and think about little Bronwyn and her family often. Wish we could be there physically for you, too. Keep that sense of humour, Berta!
Love Jackie, Mark, Evan and Rachel