Monday, August 28, 2006

Another success

They closed Bronwyn's sternum today - and the operation went well and she has been doing well since. They are keeping her sedated for now as they want her to have a day of good rest. Tomorrow they will start weaning her off her medications and her supports. Hopefully she will handle that well. She has been just a super good patient. The nurse tonight told me that when she was assigned Bronwyn the other nurses were all jealous. I am glad to hear that my girl is already more popular than her mother ever was. I don't ever remember nurses fighting over me! Fighting with me perhaps but not over me.

Each hurdle we get over successfully I breath a wee bit easier. I still feel tense and nervous when the phone rings - I always worry it will be the hospital calling us with bad news. This feeling is slowly starting to subside. I am sure part of me will always be a bit anxious for our little girl.

Gavin is doing well - he has decided that he doesn't want to hold our hand when he walks. His strategy of avoiding this is to go limp and lay on the ground. If you can picture us leaving the hospital and walking across the pavement of the emergency entrance - Wes holding the hand of a child who is hanging limply and is being dragged across the pavement! Pretty picture isn't it!

He really has been great - he has been at the hospital with us for the last three days and he has been very patient and tolerant (for a 2 year old).

I'd like to ask that you keep in your thoughts and prayers baby Quinn - they are waiting for a heart - infant hearts are extremely hard to come by. His parents found out that they are second on the list - there is another baby at the Stollery who has been waiting longer. I have also met the mom of a patient in the PICU who is also waiting for a heart. She is 14 and can receive an adult heart so there are higher odds that she will get a heart. But she is very sick and the sooner she receives a heart the better. Her name is Melissa.

There are an amazing number of stories - everyone at the Stollery has a different issue and stress with which they are coping. We are among many. In fact I am starting to feel as though our situation is much more positive than most and that there are many who are dealing with far more than we are. Of course if Bronwyn wasn't doing so well I would likely not feel this way. We have so much to be thankful for - God has been so good to us. We are just taking each moment for what it brings and preparing ourselves the best we can for each new step in this process.

Again the support and encouragement that we receive from all of our friends and family who are reading our blog is amazing. I don't think you (and I mean you as you read this) can have any idea how you are impacting our family. It gives us courage and hope to know that so many people care for our little family. May God bless all of you and bring you rich blessings in return for the great kindness you have shown us.

3 comments:

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

Hey guys. Each morning when I read this my day starts off with a jolt of courage. If you can face what you've had to face and come out on top - nothing that happens to me today can shake me. Besides anything that could happen will still pale in comparison to what you've had to endure. God is alive. God is active. God is involved. Glory to God!
And Kudos to you guys for moving forward in faith. You're an example to more than you think.

Ethan (jk, John)

Anonymous said...

Hello Davis',
So glad to read yesterday's posting! We continue to keep you all and Quinn and now Melissa in our prayers. AND we can't wait to see you. Aiden has been asking about Gavin.
Take Care,
The Good's

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear that everything is going well. We have been praying for your family. God bless you today.
Love Mike and Michelle Muirhead