Friday, May 25, 2007

Gavin hasn't had the best week

We started the week badly when I shut his fingers in the front screen door. It was awful, I cried as much or more than he did. I called Wes right away and he was so supportive and understanding. He is such a great husband.


Then last night I was out with Bronwyn for a meeting. When I got back home the boys met us at the door. Gavin was holding an icepack in his hand. I immediately said - What happened!


Wes had been working in the basement and he used his drill. He set it down when he was done and Gavin grabbed the drill bit which was very hot. So he burned his fingers.


I wasn't nearly as supportive as Wes had been earlier in the week. My first instinct was to feel awful for little Gavin, pretty tough luck two finger traumas in one week. My second response was to feel badly for Wes because I knew how badly I felt so he must feel bad too. But the third and I hate to admit the longest lasting feeling was one of relief.


I said to Wes with a smile - Oh, that is definitely worse than what I did!


Now before you get too critical of this response, I mean just between the two of us (and any other of millions who could possible wander on to this sight) - it makes sense. I felt so bad after hurting him and of course I would have rather he not been hurt in either instance but the fact is we both made unfortunate mistakes and in my mind Wes' seemed worse. So it somehow made me feel better.


OK - I admit that is bad (but secretly it makes sense right?). Of course Wes disagreed so an argument ensued over which injury was technically worse.


Long and short is that our poor son is fine, neither injury was severe or even very bad - just bad enough to make us feel awful. He is still his buoyant little self, he still terrorizes his sister. In fact I took the kids down to AdFarm today and he terrorized them for a while! He is lucky that my work is filled with such loving people.

No comments: