Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Two year olds will drive you crazy


I am finding Gavin a bit of a handful these days. On one hand I am in total awe of what he is learning and all the clever and cute things he does. On the other hand I am finding it hard to assert my authority and get him to listen. I don't know how many times a day lately I say "Gavin, Gavin, Gavin (it takes three tries to get his attention) you must start listening to me!"

Don't get me wrong - I love the fact that he is independent and strong willed - these are great characteristics. He just needs to learn where to apply them. Today, while at Grandma and Pop's house he hit his sister and boy was I angry. I went to grab him but he ran around kitchen island and stood behind his Grandma. I crossed my arms and said "Gavin come here," really sternly. He looked at me and then at Grandma. He then pointed at me and said, "Scary." I had to turn around so he wouldn't see me laugh. Two year olds!
The other day I was in the car with the kids (I was driving - no panic there) and we were chatting. I often tell Gavin he is my best boy. He announces to other kids in the park or pretty much anyone that he is "best boy." He was in the back seat discussing how he is the best boy. We started a conversation that went like this:

Me - Is Daddy the best boy?
Gavin - No.
Me - Daddy is the best daddy.
Gavin - Daddy best daddy.
Me - Is Bronwyn the best boy?
Gavin - No. Bronwa is the best gwerl (I love how he says girl).
Me - Yeah - Bronwyn is the best girl. Is Gavin the best boy?
Gavin - Yes! Gavin best boy.
Me - Is Mommy the best boy?
Gavin - No.
Me - Mommy is the best...
Gavin - Orange.

Whatever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Berta - I really enjoy reading your blog, but I have to question this statement...

"The other day I was in the car with the kids (I was driving - no panic there)..."

Wa? Who are you trying to fool with that statement? I have ridden with you! :)

(Sorry someone had to say it! Have a good one!)

Davis Family said...

I guess I meant that Gavin wasn't driving but I guess you do have a good point.
The good thing is that having kids has improved my language while driving (well except today but that was an exception).
Bert