Sunday, May 13, 2007

So I guess it is mother's day

I woke up this morning with a bed full of children and of course my husband. Most days it would have been vaguely annoying that my offspring wont sleep in their own beds but today it was sort of sweet. After all what greater joy for a Mom than to wake up with her little one right with her.

It is funny I don't really feel like celebrating "me" today, although someone suggested I should be nominated mother of the year (oh, wait, that was me talking to myself when I was cranky with my family - erase that!).

My thoughts this mother's day are focused on the great legacy my mother and both of my grandmothers left for me.

I won't go into the details of why they mean so much to me. But I will say this - I seriously doubt I would have been able to get through most of our ordeal over this last year without their example.

They have been examples of great strength, courage, faith and love. All things I needed to draw on last fall. There were times when I know my own strength wasn't enough - I need my mother to support and uphold me. While my mother was able to physically do this I believe that my Grandmothers by their example and their strength of spirit propped up my will and buoyed my spirit.

I know this is not particularly original. Most people I know can share similar stories. This year more than any other Mother's day means a lot to me for the very reason I have shared.

Today has been a day of reflection for me and I hope I can show my Mom how much I value her everyday not just today. As my brother said earlier today "Every day is mother's day at their house." (Ahem).

No comments: