Friday, November 21, 2008

My perfect life


I have this image in my mind of my perfect moment as a parent. It starts with laying down our youngest in her bassinet and having her sleep soundly there. Then I proceed to the bedroom where our two older children are sleeping soundly - I gently kiss their foreheads and then quietly leave the room. My husband and I have a quiet few moments holding hands and then we go to bed. Everyone sleeps and all is peaceful.

Well, this perfect moment never seems to happen in our house. I couldn't count on one hand the number of nights that we haven't had a bed littered with children. Invariably someone has the sniffles or is sick or needs tending through the night. But, we have gotten used to this.
I decided yesterday that maybe my mental image needs to change to allow for many of the perfect moments that I do have in my day.

Perfect moment #1 - Hearing Gavin go and talk to his Daddy while Wes is digging for some important paperwork that we have to find. "Daddy," Gavin says in a plaintive and soft voice, "We don't have time for that - I'm sorry we just don't. We have to go wrestle right now."

Perfect moment #2 - Bronwyn finally falling asleep on the couch. Her cheeks flushed and her breathing heavy. I look at her and hope that sleep will help her get over whatever bug she has and I thank God that she is sitting there even if she is sick.

Perfect moment #3 - Mari just needing her mommy (and more importantly her boobs) way more often than I had ever imagined.

So - its not picture perfect but I wouldn't have it any other way. God has richly blessed us with three super kids. I just need a reminder now and then of how wonderful they are. I'll get sleep someday - but for now this will do nicely.

4 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

beautiful. It's weird I've had similar experiences lately of just being so happy at having so many children, even though it gets crazy and by supper time I'm craving quiet and rest, there are dozens of reasons every day why this life is awesome. I cherish each hug and cuddle and "I love you". I mean who gets that every day, multiple times and from multiple arms?

Janet said...

Oh, I feel your sentiments. It's so beautiful and so hard sometimes. Sometimes I think I would give almost anything to have a peaceful night sleep. But at the same time, if one of them weren't there I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. I tell myself I love how things are right now and I will just remember to enjoy every moment of peace I can cherish when they are older!

Julie Reid said...

You always find the best moments in life and you have so many great thoughts on your blog. Thanksfor sharing. You family is lovely and you are a perfect Mommy to every one of them.

Anonymous said...

That is a good post - thanks for the reminder to see our blessings! :)