Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rememberance Day

I always think a lot about my Grandfathers on Remembrance Day.

My dad's dad was in the Welsh Guards before the war and was among the first recalled into service during the war. He spent several years in a German prison war camp and was released before the war was over. He left a wife with two very small children during that time.

Dad's dad, my Granddad Watts was a very tall man, with pure white hair, who had a lovely Welsh accent. I remember sitting in their garden in Africa as a teenager and listening to him tell me stories of his youth and the war. He would sit there slowly smoking a cigar (he had to smoke them outside as Grandma didn't approve of the habit) and in his soft musical voice he'd walk me through parts of his world. It was amazing. I felt so blessed to have spent that time with him. I learned later that he told me stories that even my dad didn't know. I guess age had lessened the pain of the memories and he could retell them with greater ease.

My mom's dad was on the other side of the spectrum. He was short, stout and had an almost gruff yet powerful voice. He didn't serve in the war. He was willing to serve in a non-combative role, as he was appalled by Hitler and his directives. It was his religious beliefs that kept him from enlisting as a soldier. This was not an easy choice. He was harassed for this choice and yet his convictions kept him strong.

I remember sitting at the dining room table with Grandpa Bailey as he told stories of his youth. He was an amazing story teller. He didn't care if there was mustard on his chin or bread crumbs on his tie. He was engrossed in the story and so was his audience. He had large chubby fingers that he would cross together on the table or gesture to aid in the story. I spent a lot of time with my Grandparents when I was in University so I heard many of his stories - several times!

Do I think that one of my Grandfathers made a wiser choice than the other? No. I wouldn't make that judgment. What I do know is that I was immensely proud of both of them. They were both men of conviction, honestly and honour. They did what they believed was right even when the cost was personally very high. They were like this always - not just during the war.

They are to me the standard of manhood. I feel honoured to say they are my Grandpas.

Granddad Watts and Grandpa Bailey - I miss you both!

No comments: