Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Foggy drive

I went to Edmonton last night and stayed over with Tom & Pam and family. I was attending a conference for hospital staff on treatment of children with single ventricle function.

It was interesting, a bit over my head but interesting none the less.

I got to see Bronwyn's favourite (and mine too), Lois.

I left Edmonton with a LOT going on in my mind. It was a very thought provoking discussion/set of seminars. My mind was just rife with all the details and my personal opinions all jumbled up in one big mess.

After I stopped in Red Deer for a quick pit stop I headed on my way. Just south of Red Deer I drove into very thick fog. I kept expecting it to clear. It didn't lighten up until around Airdrie - it was still there but just much lighter.

The unusual thing is that for the stretch that was the worst there was no traffic in either lane. It is amazing how comforting red tail lights ahead of you through the fog can be. Or even the head lights from the traffic travelling north. Here and there a car would pass but for the most part I was driving in the grey dark fog, not really sure of how far I could see or what might surprise me.

I was almost home when I realized that this was really just a physical metaphor for my life. I spent the day desperately trying to learn more about my daughter's condition. Trying to arm myself for the unknown.

Here we are as a family, driving alone on the road. We don't know what is ahead, and yet we still travel on, unable to stop or turn back. We pursue our destination. The occasional passing car helps light our way for a bit.

I guess all we can really do it crank up the music and enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

Carrie Brown said...

What a profound paradighm! That would be scary feeling so alone in the actual fog, but I love the comparason you made to your life as a family. We will be praying for you! But you know, I have a feeling that most of us are in the fog too...we just don't think we are.

Anonymous said...

well, you know how the saying goes...life is a highway.

Mel