Sunday, January 21, 2007

In waiting

For now we are just hanging out waiting for Bronwyn to be symptom free. She really hasn't been very sick at all - just a touch of a cold. I hope tomorrow that she will be pretty free and clear so I can start counting out the days.

I was waiting until we got back to Edmonton so I could give an update on Quinn. I was hoping I'd have a chance to see him and report on my own findings - but alas that has to wait. The word I have from his Mom however, is that his heart is holding strong. He is running into some bumps on the road to recovery - but this is apparently quite normal for a little guy who has waited so long for a heart. We just continue to pray for him and for all the doctors who are caring for him.

The other person I have been thinking about this weekend is my Grandpa Bailey. He is moving into an old folks home in Midale tomorrow. Aunt Mary has been looking after him since my Grandma passed away. I could write for a long time on just how amazing my Aunt Mary and Uncle Bill have been - but those of you who know them understand. Lets just say I am so proud of them for caring for Grandpa's physical and emotional needs so well. I am also very proud that they had the strength to make the choice to move him when his needs required it.

One of my favourite mental images of my Grandpa is him sitting in a chair upright, slightly leaning forward with the newspaper in his hand and a pencil as he worked on the crossword puzzle. Often his tongue would be sticking out the side of his mouth as he worked it out. My Grandpa had a keen intellect and a love of people and God. He is an absolute tower of strength and wisdom in my world as well as a source of great joy.

I love you Grandpa!

4 comments:

@mber said...

Where is Midale? Is that the same place where he would go on occasion when Mary & Bill went away? I have very many good memories of Uncle Cecil. Mostly of him and Aunt Lavine at our house almost once a month. He would be reciting us poems and we would be sitting there intently.
How is the waiting game going? is Bronwyn symptom free yet?

Eric said...

Coming from Weyburn, Midale is where you turn to hit the side roads to find the farm.

Yes, that is where he was going for respite care.

Anonymous said...

Amber - I'd listen to Eric on the details I am not so familiar with the actual location of the home. We are doing ok - I am finding the waiting hard - and Bronwyn is not yet symptom free - she is still snuffly.
Love ya - Berta

Anonymous said...

Midale is 1/2 way between Weyburn & Estevan. It's the first of 3 places where you can turn off to get to the farm. I turn off at Macoun; I'm less likely to get lost from there.

-Neil-