Friday, March 26, 2010

How to make an ass of yourself 101

I could write a book, or teach a class on this topic. I've decided that if I am truly skilled at something I should be proud of it. Even if it isn't something on the list of top 20 qualities in an employee or life mate or friend.

I took the kids to the dentist this morning. The older two actually. Last time I went I decided to bring Mari, cause "how much trouble could she be?" Well, as I was trying to hold a terrified Bronwyn the hygienist was chasing Mari around the room. At that point she was just crawling.

So I elected to leave her out. We dropped her at Val's house (thanks again Val) and we carried on. Long story short. The kids teeth looked great yada yada yada. Although, to interrupt my own story, how come dental hygienists can make you feel so awful, even if there teeth are good?

The dentist I take the kids to is in a group that specializes in children's care. They pull out all the stops - it is a very cool place for kids. I mean very cool. They talk in soft voices and they work hard at not panicking anyone.

They did X-rays of Gavin's mouth and teeth. The noticed an extra tooth (sort of freaky that) at the front that seems to be causing issue with his other teeth. The doctor told me that he thought this would have to be removed.

I replied, "That will mean surgery." He said, "Yes." I just shrugged and he quickly said, "Nothing like what you've been through, much much different."

But by this point the damage was done. I was crying. I was standing in a pediatric dentists office crying, as other parents walked by and gave alarmed and concerned looks. Little did they know that my tears had nothing to do with teeth.

I quickly started talking details, trying to regain control. As we left I apologized over and over.

The nutty thing is that the last time I was there I was almost in tears too. This poor dentist must think I'm a lunatic. Certifiable.

This might not bother most folks out there, but I'm not a demonstrative person. I don't like to admit I have feelings let alone "share" them.

Anyhow, there ya have it. Now if you have a story to top that, go ahead and share it - it might make me feel better.

2 comments:

erinlo said...

I have too many to share, Roberta. Seeing as how I AM a person who wears their feelings on their sleeve, I wish I only had a couple of stories like that. I'm so sorry that happened to you!

Anonymous said...

Well, since on the topic of dentists, my son is having problems not gagging while upside-down on the chair with his mouth wide open. Anyway, in my feeble attempt to console him one day, I told my son that no one likes going to the dentist and that it's just something we have to do. Which he in turn told the hygenist...she was not impressed!!
Vicki