Sunday, February 04, 2007

Things that go bump in the night



We are still waiting to hear about a surgery date. We are all tired today.

I was disrupted from slumber early this morning. I heard a loud and unusual bang. I jumped up thinking someone had knocked something over. I check Bronwyn first - she was fine. I checked Gavin next - he was fine. I then went into the hall way and turned the light on. By that point Wes was awake and joined me. I was also now awake enough to identify that the noise sounded like a crowbar hitting concrete.

If it was concrete the area of concern is the basement. I thought - if I was a burglar and I had made such a loud bang - I would leave quickly and go straight to the nearest career office to reconsider my options. So I figured that since I had not heard any other noises we were OK in that regard.

We also have a very shaky drier and things frequently fall off of it - making disturbing bumps from the deep. But it was not running.

My next question was, "Wes did you leave something heavy like a crowbar hanging somewhere where it could drop?" He looked concerned and said - "Oh, yes - I think I know what it was." I responded, "Do you want to check?" He responded, (sorry for all the responding) "No it is fine I am pretty sure I know what it was."

We then all returned to bed - of course the commotion in the hallway had caused our oldest child to wake up and he insisted on coming to bed with us too.

Moral of the story? I guess - don't go to bed too late? I don't know - some stories just don't have a moral or even a point.

2 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Your story may not have a moral or point, but it is dripping with suspense and you've left us hanging!!! So what made the noise?

Anonymous said...

Still don't know - didn't bother asking as it was likely some building thing that I wouldn't really understand anyhow!
Berta