Friday, September 08, 2006

A good day

We have had quite a good day. Bronwyn is starting to look a lot less lean than she was a few days ago. They have started feeding her breast milk again. So now we just wait and see if the fluid around her lungs builds up again or if it has cleared up all together. The doctors are very pleased with her progress. I spent a couple hours holding her this afternoon - she was working on giving me a smile. We enjoyed our chat today. I told her all about her family - I told her about my Grandmothers - who were both tough gals who went through a great deal in their lives and handled it all in unique ways. She enjoyed that story.

She is finally able to wear clothes! They have taken off all the IVs that were in her legs or arms so now they can put clothing on her. Yep - our girl was naked except her diaper for the first 3 weeks of her life. Our son would love to go through life in just a diaper - but alas it is less acceptable for an almost 2 year old.

I felt very somber on my drive home this evening. I ran into Melissa's Mom in the hallway. I saw her the other day and the Drs. Were having some issues managing the thinness/clotting of her blood. Tonight she was being comforted by a friend and had been crying. I guess Melissa threw-up her feeding tube. It is amazing how a quick turn of events can change a mother's perspective. I felt heart sick for her and I pray that Melissa gets a heart soon. The problem with waiting for a heart is that they have to keep the body well enough that it will manage and continue to thrive once they replace the heart.

Quinn had a procedure yesterday to remove a blockage that was reducing his oxygen saturations to his body. I ran into his Mom, Kim, today and he was doing much better today. For now he is stable again. Kim is managing so well - the waiting is such a horrible thing and she is showing incredible pluck with every turn of events.

One of the things I was worried about when we first arrived at the Stollery was that there may be some friction between parents if their children were recuperating at different rates. I was concerned that there would be a natural jealousy that would cause parents to resent others if their child was getting better faster. I think I was even worried about myself. But this isn't the case - I quickly realized that this is a very different place (or at least the people I have rubbed shoulders with are different). Others are genuinely happy for you when your child does well and they are equally worried for you when your child takes a turn for the worse. I am so happy when I hear good news about another baby or child. As for the bad news - trust me - once you have gone through this type of anxiety you feel keenly for any other parent who is in a similar or worse situation. The support we have received from other parents has been great!

Enough introspection. This has been a bit somber I think.

So tonight my prayer request is that both Quinn & Melissa will receive hearts very soon and that Bronwyn will do well on with the feeding.

No comments: