Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Like mother - like daughter


Today I went to see my lovely little girl - leaving my lovely little boy at home with his Grandparents. Gavin has so much fun with his Grandma - she is just the best! When I got to the hospital all seemed well - Bronwyn was going to be moved to another room. The room she was in yesterday was an intermediate room - a bit more monitoring etc. It is a segway between the NICU and a normal hospital room.

I was holding Bronwyn and she pulled out her feeding tube. She was so fast! I really couldn't be too upset since I had set a bad example for her yesterday. The nurse had to completely pull it out as it was too far out to rescue. Once she removed it Bronwyn smiled and looked a bit smug as she snuggled in and went back to sleep. So this afternoon they had to insert a new tube.

She was resting well when I went last night - she is doing well with her food so far.

I was informed this morning that we wont be returning to Calgary until Monday at the soonest. The Stollery is ready to send us but the Children's is in the middle of their move and they aren't ready to receive us. So we will wait here and continue to watch Bronwyn's progress.

I spent some time talking to the nurse practicioner for the Cardiac ward about what we can expect when we get Bronwyn home. Like everything else it is very dependent on how Bronwyn does and what she requires individually. I was able to at least construct a fairly realistic picture of what life will look like though. How difficult it will be is up to Bronwyn I guess. I have a better idea of the care aspect - what medications she will be on and what some of the key health issues will be. As for how she will be fed and how much activity she can endure that is all up in the air.

For now things are going well and that is all I need to know. I will set the worries about tomorrow aside so they can be dealt with tomorrow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. I love the pictures you attach. You sound good. God is keeping you there for a good reason even if we don't see it, just remember patience is a virtue.
Love you all,
Kim

Anonymous said...

That is a great picture! What a sweet girl! We are coming up tomorrow, so we are looking forward to seeing you then!
Love, Hope

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you Roberta! You have a strong girl there....just like her mom. I'm glad to see/hear that things are going well and you will be able to come back soon. We are looking forward to having you home as well and will gladly welcome you with open arms!
Love
Becky

Nicolle said...

Look at that chubby face! She's hardly the little wrinkled red thing I met a few weeks ago. She looks awesome Roberta, despite you pulling tubes out of her when no one's looking. ;-)

Give me a call when you feel like company after you get back. We have a Baby Gap to hit, you and I.

What a good summer.

Anonymous said...

Roberta and family,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. We look forward to your safe return home with your beautiful little girl! Take care.
Best Wishes,
Helen, Gary and Nicholas Smith

Anonymous said...

Hey Roberta & family,
Does Bronwyn ever look good! It's nice to see a picture of her without any tubes having such a cute expression on her face. You can tell she's so... loved & cared for. We continue to check daily for updates. Thanks for doing that. Looking forward to hearing her get stronger day by day. Take Care, Crystal & Family

Anonymous said...

Hi all,
Checking in to let you know I have been watching and praying each day for all of you and for the others you have asked us to pray for. Today is little Bronwyn's one month birthday and what a lot she has been through is such a short time! One of my prayers has been that she will be spared pain as she undergoes each new procedure.
In today's picture she looks peaceful and well loved, without any sign of the trauma she has undergone.
She has shown herself to be a real little trooper. It will be so nice to have you all back homs soon.
I must admit I am really missing the wee master and look forward to some time with him soon.
Lots of love
Joan

Anonymous said...

She looks like a little monkey in this picture. Pink is her color! Sorry Wes! We are glad that things have moved along well since we saw you on Saturday. It was so good to spend a few hours with all of you!
See you soon,
Andrea