Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The roller coaster

The last day and a half have been a bit of a whirlwind. I was holding Bronwyn yesterday thinking - Ho hum another day of waiting in Edmonton. When the nurse came in and told me they were changing her feeding. They wanted to give her the milk in a short period of time every two hours - to start simulating breast feeding. I knew that was the next step. Then she added that they wanted me to try breast feeding before each feed. Well - ok!

I came back later ready for a long session of trying to get her to nurse. They expect it to be a bit of challenge since she hasn't been able to nurse since she was born. So I sat down with her and she latched on immediately and started nursing. The nurses were amazed - so was I.

The second time I nursed her she spat up a lot of milk (they were in the process of tube feeding her). The nurse figured that she had nursed well and didn't need the extra tube feeds. They kept her on the periodic feeds through the night. When I got back this morning I nursed her and during her supplementary feed she spat up again. I was worried thinking they would stop the breast feeding. But instead they have decided to see how she does on breast feeding only. This surprised me greatly - as I never thought this would be an option for her. There are many different considerations created by her condition that complicate the nursing process. But they are going to see how she does. If she gains weight and doesn't retain to much fluid she will be able to continue on like a normal baby!

So I am now going to stay over night at the hospital and feed her on demand. I think they will try this for a couple days and see how she does. So Gavin is going to go to Langdon with Grandma and Grandpa to stay with them.

As thrilled as I am that they are giving her a chance to be breast feeding alone - well I can't even describe my level of dread at having to stay at the hospital through the night. It goes against fiber of my being! Oh, well I am a big girl and I'm sure I can do it. I am also not thrilled at not seeing Gavin for a few days.

Hopefully Calgary will let us come down early next week. So much for the quick move I had been excited about earlier. I am just hoping that we out of here before October 1.

So as Kim McConnell would say - The journey continues...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Berty - just checking in. Good to hear the misses is trying her best at the feeding - we too hope that you are all home to Calgary soon - lets face it, no one really belongs in Edmonton. Keep your chin up.

Janet said...

Wow! SOOO glad to hear she did so well at catching on to breastfeeding! She is amazing! I will be praying that you move home comes quickly and goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

Your miracle baby does it again! How wonderful for both of you. Once you have a chance to look back on it, the hospital stay won't be so bad. Gavin will be good and spoiled in the meantime. We love hearing your updates! See you at home soon.
Hope

Anonymous said...

what's not to like about staying in the hospital. The food is sooo good and they always let you sleep uninterupted. At least they won't be coming in to wake you and see if you are sleeping. That was always my favorite part.
We are amazed at how wonderful God has been to your family.
We continue to pray for all of you and for Quinn.
We can't wait to see all of you.
love
Michelle, Mike and Family

Anonymous said...

You must be so excited. I'm sure that this additional bonding connection will again only improve Bronwyn's progress. Love, Jodie

Anonymous said...

Hey Bert, I can't believe she caught on so quickly to breastfeeding! I am praying that it all continues to go smoothly. I am also hoping that you get to go back to Calgary soon as I know you're missing home but secretly and selfishly I kind of don't want you to leave either because I'll miss ya! I'll talk to you soon.
Kim