Saturday, September 23, 2006

Its the little things


It has been quite a topsy turvy couple of days. I won't go into all the details. The long and short is that we are back fully on breast feeding with some bottle feeding as needed - mostly when
I need a break. Bronwyn doesn't have a lot of stamina so she eats a little often. So if I don't get a bit of help I just never sleep. But she is get stronger and is eating for slightly longer times - so hopefully she will start to sleep a bit longer too. She occasionally sleeps for a couple hours so that is a good sign. She hasn't gained weight yet - but the good news is she hasn't lost. And the big worry of fluids (not enough pee) seems to be less of an issue. She is passing urine and pooping quite well.

What a girl eh?

Lately it is the little things that are making my life so much nicer. The night before last I had a nurse who felt it was important to let Bronwyn lead the way and not wake her every three hours to eat whether she wanted to or not. And when the bolos feeds made her spit up because she had too much in her tummy - she discontinued them and did them less frequently. She even went and got a warm blanket to cover Bronwyn and me while I was feeding her. So nice!

Just when I thought a nurse couldn't be any nicer - well... Last night I was dreading the coming night as Bronwyn's new roommate was a little newborn with jaundice. So they had a bed with the bright lights - which was really bright. And every time they put him in for his tanning time he cried and cried and cried. Now of course I can't blame him - I wouldn't like it either - but I was thinking between Bronwyn's eating every hour and a really bright light and a crying neighbor - well I didn't expect to get any sleep at all. Then the nurse came in and asked if I'd like to be moved to a private room - well would I!! She said for the morning - but came back in a minute and said that they could move us right away. The same nurse also convinced me to let her bottle feed Bronwyn a couple times in the night. As a result I had about 6 hours uninterrupted sleep. What an amazing thing!

I am writing from the condo not the hospital and I have with me - Wes, Gavin and Bronwyn. Yes Bronwyn. She is out on a day pass. Pretty exciting eh?

Gavin is terrorizing his daddy and baby sister at the moment. He is trying to give her some ice. We have to take her back by 8pm ish. It is a nice way for me to start getting comfortable with having her at home full time. We have been warned that although she is doing well and they think she will fair well until the next surgery that she could drop dead with very little warning. We are being taught to look for early symptoms of heart failure and we will have an oxygen monitor and a weigh scale to bring home to monitor her daily. We also have about 6 medications that she has to be given several times daily. Do I think she will die before the next surgery? No! I believe that God will care for us and keep us all safe. But I need to be very aware of her status and be ready to react at any moment.

So while it is terrifying having her away from competent medical care, it feel so nice to have my family all together out of the hospital. Wow! What a feeling!

Thank you all for you continued prayers and thoughts we are so thankful for the great support we have received. There is a great swell of love and support that laps over our little family and I assure you we are greatly encouraged by it.

Love you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It was so great to see a family photo in your home. I am happy to hear that many gains have been made since we saw you all two weeks ago. we can't wait to see you very soon.

God bless,
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Oh wonderful and scary at the same time. We keep praying for you guys and will be so happy for all of you when you can be at your own home!
Love, Hope

Anonymous said...

Mike was born September 23 and as I reminisce about our experience 24 years ago, it is wonderful to see your picture and share your ups and downs. Every day is precious ...

Love, Bren

Anonymous said...

That is great that she is doing so well and that she was able to be out on a day pass. Hope you can get enough sleep to keep you going.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing story! I love all of the photos and the messages. What a lovely little family God has given you. I noted the latest photo was in the condo, but second guessed myself thinking it couldn't be. Then I read your messsage and was delighted you got to be together alone at "home" for a short while. Scary, but what a blessing. You are always in my thoughts and prayers and it is much too long since I have seen you. God bless and good night.
Love Joan