Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A small move



I arrived today at the NICU to discover that Bronwyn was being moved upstairs to the Cardiac ward. She got settled in to her new location and is doing very well. There has been a bit of a complication. OK. Now before I tell this story I need to explain something first.

Before I left work I promised some of my co-workers that I would behave myself while in the hospital. Now in my defense I am not actually in the hospital now - I am just a visitor!

Alright - so while they were doing the paper work for her transfer the nurse asked me to hold her so that she would stay calm so she could get everything organized. So I picked her up and sat down in a chair. I didn't notice that her IV lines had been taped to the edge of the bed so they wouldn't pull. A few minutes later I realized that her IV (it is actually called a pick line) was coming out of her head. I told the nurse and well... Oops! I thought they would have to put another one in - but thankfully this morning they had just changed her prescriptions to be all oral and not Interveinous. The only thing going in the IV was her fluids and fats. They have been slowly building up her oral feeds while dropping the other fluids.

They decided they would speed up the process of oral feeds and see if she tolerates it before they reinstall an IV.

Tonight she was vomiting a bit - so I hope that is just a temporary thing. If it is a problem with the feeds then they can put in a temporary IV and start her on fluids again. I feel bad because I caused the issue! Oh, well my kids are going to have to get used to the fact that their mother is a clutz. I am sure they will love me anyway.

Gavin is doing well. He just loves his Grandparents. You can see in the pictures that Bronwyn is working on her relationship with her Grandparents also. He is upstairs in the play pen talking away at the moment. He was asleep but now he's not.

They are still saying that they hope we will be moved to Calgary by the end of the week. But we are still waiting and watching Bronwyn continue to recover.

No comments: